Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Wang’s general research is in the field of sustainable and resilient built environment. His recent research focuses on: 1) multi-scale modeling and characterization of pavement material and development of multi-functional infrastructure material; 2) vehicle-pavement-environment interaction for long-lasting pavement in highway and airfield; 3) life-cycle analysis and assessment and pavement management system. His research has been sponsored by a number of Federal, State, and Local transportation agencies. He has authored or co-authored more than 50 journal and conference publications on pavement engineering and infrastructure material research. He has served in a number of ASCE and TRB technical committees. He is the Editorial Board Member of Journal of Testing and Evaluation published by ASTM. He was the recipient of Eisenhower Graduate Fellowship from FHWA and the First Prize winner in Airport Operation and Maintenance Design Challenge from FAA. His recent research work sponsored by South Dakota DOT has received AASHTO High Value Research Award in 2014.
- AASHTO High Value Research Award (Principal Investigator of the winning project), 2014
- ASCE ExCEEd Fellowship, ASCE, 2012
- Yee Memorial Fund Fellowship, College of Engineering, UIUC, 2010
- Dwight David Eisenhower Graduate Fellowship, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), 2008
- First Prize, Airport Operation and Maintenance Design Challenge, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), 2008
- Runner-up, K. B. Woods Award for Best Paper in Design and Construction Group, Transportation Research Board of National Academies, 2008
- Outstanding Service Award, Virginia Tech ARTBA Student Chapter, 2006
- Kenneth E. Wilkinson Scholarship, Institute of Transportation Engineering (ITE) Virginia Section, 2005
- PRATT Fellowship, Virginia Tech, 2004
- Associate Editor, Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part B: Pavements, ASCE
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Testing and Evaluation, ASTM
- Vice-Chair, Pavement Mechanics Committee, ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute
- Committee members, ASCE committees on highway and airport pavements; bituminous material
- Committee members, TRB AFK40: Characteristics of Asphalt-Aggregate Combinations to Meet Surface Requirement; AFD90: Surface Properties - Vehicle Interaction
- Board Member, International Association of Chinese Infrastructure Professionals (IACIP), 2017- present
- Vehicle-pavement-environment interaction
- Multi-scale and multi-physics modeling
- Sustainable infrastructure material
- Life-cycle assessment and analysis
- Xu, G.J. and H. Wang*, “Study of Cohesive an Adhesive Properties of Asphalt Concrete with Molecular Dynamics Simulation,” Computational Material Science, 2016, Vol. 112, pp. 161-169
- Wang, H.* and M.Y. Li, “Comparative Study of Asphalt Pavement Responses under FWD Loading and Moving Vehicular Loading,” Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 142, No. 12, 2016, 04016069.
- Wang, H.*, Y.M. Ding, G.Y. Liao, and C.F. Ai, “Modeling and Optimization of Acoustic Absorption for Porous Asphalt Concrete,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 142, No. 4, 2016
- Wang, H.*, and J.N. Zhao, “Development of Overweight Permit Fee Using Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design and Life-Cycle Cost Analysis,” Transport, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2016, pp 156-166.
- Chen, J.Q., H. Wang*, M.Y. Li and L. Li, “Evaluation of Pavement Responses and Performance with Thermal Modified Asphalt Mixture,” Materials and Design, 2016, Vol. 111, pp. 88-97
- Wang, H.*, Z.L. Wang, R. Blight, and E.C. Sheehy, “Determination of Pay Adjustment for In-Place Air Void of Asphalt Pavements from Life-Cycle Cost Analysis,” Road Materials and Pavement Design, Vol. 16, No. 3, 2015, pp. 505-517.
- Wang, H.* and M.Y. Li, “Evaluation of Effects of Variations in Aggregate Base Layer Properties on Flexible Pavement Performance,” Transportation Research Record, TRB, 2015, No. 2524, pp. 119-129.
- Wang, H.*, C. Thakkar, X.D. Chen and S. Murrell, “Life-Cycle Assessment of Airport Pavement Design Alternatives for Energy and Environmental Impact,” Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 133, 2016, pp. 163-171
- Wang, H.*, E.Q. Lin, and G.J. Xu, “Molecular Dynamics Simulation of Asphalt-Aggregate Adhesion Strength with Moisture Effect,” International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Vol. 18, No.5, 2017, pp. 414-423
- Chen, J.Q., H. Wang*, and L. Li, “Determination of Effective Thermal Conductivity of Asphalt Concrete with Random Aggregate Microstructure,” Journal of Material in Civil Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 12, 2015
- Ma, T., H. Wang, D.Y. Zhang, Y. Zhang, and T. Chen, “Heterogeneity Effect on Creep Behavior of Asphalt Mixture based on Three-Dimensional Discrete Element Modeling,” Mechanics of Materials, Vol. 104, 2017, pp, 49-59.
- Wang, Z.L. and H. Wang*, “Probabilistic Modeling of Performance-Related Pay Adjustment for In-Place Air Voids of Asphalt Pavements,” Journal of Infrastructure System, Vol. 23, No. 2, 2017, 04016033.
- Wang, H.*,J. Wang, and J.Q. Chen, “Micromechanical Analysis of Asphalt Mixture Fracture with Adhesive and Cohesive Failure,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, No. 132, 2014, pp 104-119.
- Chen, J.Q., M. Zhang, H. Wang*, and L. Li, “Evaluation of Thermal Conductivity of Asphalt Mixture with Heterogeneous Microstructure,” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vo. 84, 2015, pp. 368-374.
- Xu, G. J. and H. Wang*, “Molecular Dynamics Study of Oxidative Aging Effect on Asphalt Binder Properties,” Fuel, Vo. 188, 2017, pp. 1-10