Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Xiang Liu’s research aims to improve the safety, efficiency and resiliency of transportation systems, with a current focus on railroad. He and his students endeavor to advance the state of the art in four inter-related areas: 1) Transportation Accident Analysis and Prevention; 2) Risk Analysis of Chemical Logistics; 3) Optimization of Infrastructure Management; and 4) Transportation Data Analytics. These research thrusts collectively provide opportunities to better understand how transportation systems are affected by natural or man-made hazards, so as to develop solutions to enhance the system’s robustness and resilience. In addition to his own research, Dr. Liu aims to promote rail-related education and multi-disciplinary research collaboration at Rutgers University, to serve the industry’s acute need in terms of high-quality research and well-rounded young professionals. Dr. Liu received his Ph.D. from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and B.S. from Shanghai Jiaotong University in China.
- Ph.D. Transportation Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, December 2013
- M.S. Transportation Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, May 2011
- B.S. Transportation Engineering (Maritime and Port Operations), Shanghai Jiao Tong University, May 2008
- Liu, X., Dick. C.T. (2016). Risk-based optimization of rail defect inspection frequency for petroleum crude oil transportation. Transportation Research Record (Accepted for Early Publication).
- Liu, X., Hong, Y. (2015). Modeling railroad tank car releases using a generalized binomial model. Accident Analysis and Prevention (in press).
- Liu, X. (2015). Statistical temporal analysis of freight-train derailment rates in the United States: 2000 to 2012. Transportation Research Record (in press) (Best Young Member Paper Award by TRB Railroad Operational Committee)
- Liu, X., Lovett, A., Dick, C.T., Saat, M.R., Barkan, C.P.L. (2014). Optimization of rail defect inspection frequency for the improvement of railway transportation safety and efficiency. Journal of Transportation Engineering 140(10).
- Liu, X., Saat, M.R., Barkan, C.P.L. (2014). Probability analysis of multiple-tank-car release incidents in railway hazardous materials transportation. Journal of Hazardous Materials 276, 442-451.
- Liu, X., Saat, M.R., Qin, X., Barkan, C.P.L. (2013). Analysis of U.S. freight-train derailment severity using zero-truncated negative binomial regression and quantile regression. Accident Analysis and Prevention 59: 87–93.
- Liu, X., Saat, M.R., Barkan, C.P.L. (2013). Integrated risk reduction framework to improve railway hazardous materials transportation safety. Journal of Hazardous Materials 260: 131-140.
- Liu, X., Saat, M.R., Barkan, C.P.L. (2013). Safety effectiveness of integrated risk reduction strategies for rail transport of hazardous materials. Transportation Research Board 2374: 102-110.
- Liu, X., Saat, M.R., Barkan, C.P.L. (2012). Analysis of causes of major train derailment and their effect on accident rates. Transportation Research Record 2289: 154-163.
- Liu, X., Barkan, C.P.L., Saat, M.R. (2011). Analysis of derailments by accident cause: evaluating railroad track upgrades to reduce transportation risk. Transportation Research Record 2261: 178-185.